About the neighborhood/location
The Palace quarter is located around the Hungarian National Museum. But before elaborating on the history of the Palace Quarter, it is necessary to make a clear distinction between two quarters of Budapest for they are often mistaken for each other. The one in Buda is called the Castle Quarter and the other in Pest is called the Palace Quarter.
The Palace Quarter is a small part of Józsefváros in the VIII. District and it did not used to belong to Pest. Though the question arises why people wanted to live in this area, the answer is simple. As the city continued to develop, Józsefváros became one of the suburbs of Pest in 1777 and people found jobs here, since at that time great building projects took place in this region.
Józsefváros was named after Saint Josef (the later King József II.). In 1838 there was a great flood caused by the Danube, which strongly determined the change of architecture in the region. It is hard to imagine that Józsefváros was flooded by two meters of water, destroying the cob-walls of the houses. Approximately 900 buildings collapsed due to the flood and only 250 remained undamaged. A speedy renovation followed the tragedy and from the line of Somogyi Béla Street – Mária Street to the downtown the construction of only stone houses was permitted, allowing the region to become more like a city.
The Hungarian National Museum was the first classical style building to be built in this area between 1837-1847 and it played a major role in the Hungarian Revolution in 1848. Behind the Museum stood the Hungarian National Horse Institute by the plans of Ybl Miklós from 1857 up until the end of World War II. The building gave place to the National riding school, and it offered the possibility to exercise fencing, shooting, and weight lifting for the noble gentleman. It was the meeting point for the male nobility and became one of the reasons why the region become inhabited by the upper class. In the following 40 years more than 50 palaces were built within these few streets and sticking the name “The Palace Quarter” on the area.
Although the Palace District was once known for its sophisticated art museums and galleries, palaces and mansions and housed the original House of Parliament, today it is a cultural mix, with lots of young people from different countries ( there are 6 universities in the area) and lots of cultural programs.
10-Minute Walk to:
– Hungarian National Museum: founded 200 years ago, the museum is dedicated to the history of Hungary and today it remains a symbol of Hungary’s national identity.
– A plentiful selection of nearby grocery stores, wine shops, deli’s, drugstores, bakeries (some of which are 24-hour) make grocery shopping effortless.
– Next to our house is Curry House for the ones in favour of delitious spicy Indian cousine.
– 1 Block from the flat there is Fülemüle restaurant with fine Hungarian dining www.fulemule.hu
what we love about the flat:
– quiet house
– central location
– first floor
– how it blends modernity with the original decorations
good to know:
– no elevator
– no airconditioning
– parking is on the street for fee